- Together for Resilient Youth (TRY) is a Durham, NC-based organization that aims to prevent substance use among youth by reducing community risk factors through education, mobilization and collaborative action.
- NEW! SAMHSA updated Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit
- Prevent Opioid Abuse and Addiction: Information and strategies from the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Easy To Read Drug Facts from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
- This is America on drugs: A visual guide: CNN
- Facing Addiction in America: Surgeon General’s Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health
- How Opioids Kill – Scientific American
- An Alarming Number of People Don’t Know the Signs of Prescription-Drug Abuse, New York Magazine magazine article
- How to Use NARCAN (naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray
- Evzio Auto-Injector Demo
- Quick-Learn Lesson: Naloxone Administration (15-20 minute web-based training via CDC LEARN)
- Injectable Naloxone Training Video
- Fighting the stigma of opioid addiction with stories of recovery | PBS NewsHour
- Life after opioid addiction: three survivors tell how they got clean | US news | The Guardian
- Watch “Reversing the Stigma” a documentary that profiles multiple people in various stages of recovery, who share their stories and experiences.
- Advocates for Opioid Recovery
- Three noteworthy medication-assisted treatment (MAT) studies | Addiction & Recovery News
- How to write about addiction without promoting stigma and bias: 4 tips for journalists
The Opioid Crisis in North Carolina
- NEW! The Opioid Crisis: Substance Use and Harm Reduction in North Carolina; NC Medical Journal. May-June 2018
- NCDHHS Opioid Action Plan Data Dashboard
- Searching for a fix: WRAL Documentary on opioid epidemic:WRAL.com
- Confronting the Opioid Epidemic in North Carolina
- Opioid and heroin crisis plagues North Carolina | Charlotte Observer
- Fighting the Opioid Epidemic | Magazine | Campbell University
- The Opioid Epidemic: Hooked | Cabarrus Magazine
- N.C. opioid crisis fueled by more prescriptions and pills | Charlotte Observer
- State Leaders Navigate The Politics Of The Opioid Crisis | WUNC
- The Role of Pharmacists in the Opioid Epidemic (North Carolina Medical Journal): Comments on and examine how pharmacists are working together with the health care team and community to address the opioid crisis.
- Pharmacists on the Front Lines (CDC brochure): Describes actions pharmacists can take against the opioid epidemic.
- Orienting patients to greater opioid safety: models of community pharmacy-based naloxone
- TIP 63: Medications for Opioid Use Disorder is a SAMHSA treatment improvement protocol (TIP) that reviews the use of the three Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved medications used to treat opioid use disorder (OUD)—methadone, naltrexone, and buprenorphine—and the other strategies and services needed to support recovery for people with OUD (free PDF download).
- Helping ‘Them’: Our Role in Recovery From Opioid Dependence
- Project Lazarus Providers’ Toolkit (PDF): Resource to assist medical care providers throughout North Carolina in managing patients with chronic pain.
- Patients with Addiction Need Treatment – Not Stigma: American Society of Addiction Medicine article
- Helping Patients With Opioid Addiction: Dentistry Today